Marketing to customers is the same as educating them
Marketing is LIKE education:
1. At its heart it is a form of gentle leading.
2. It’s people-centric: about the recipient, not the ‘sender’.
3. You remember the great experiences.
4. It is sustained. (It is a life-long journey)
5. It is sustainable.
6. It is sustaining.
7. Technology is an enabler, not a substitute.
8. It is rewarding (everybody benefits).
9. It is authentic.
10. It is a form of conversation.
11. The fundamentals never change (and it will survive the buzzwords).
12. The best system creates a virtuous circle of beneficiaries.
13. The benefits last forever.
14. You can share, expose, challenge, inform, teach – but you cannot MAKE anyone love it.
15. You can’t fake it (the ‘kids’ will catch you out in a blink)
Given these similarities, this raises the question: might it be that Marketing IS Education?
At Ganador we believe it is. When education is at the heart of your marketing philosophy, then you truly have the customers’ interests at heart.
The revealing power of knowledge and truth will reveal the heart of the brand.
If you genuinely believe your brand is the right solution then you will seek and embrace this exposure. Instead of ‘influencing’ the customer to buy, they become driven to buy because they know the product/brand is the best fit for them.
That is the most powerful outcome for any brand AND the most ideal result for the consumer.
Marketing as education requires a mind-set change as well as a new set of tools and strategies. Some activities may appear superficially the same as those previously executed – but just like a philosophy lecture and class-room show and tell may ‘look the same’ and appear in the same setting and involve one-to-many communication exercise, they are in effect very different.
A marketing activity may LOOK like a training workshop, but it is not.
It may look like a consulting gig, but it may be an engagement exercise.
It really just depends on intent – and the philosophy behind the execution; but good marketing is education is marketing.