The biggest killer of success is success.
(The fear of failure grows in direct proportion to what you have got to lose.)
This Contrarian principle has a number of corollaries:
- Bigger is always worse (ultimately).
- Innovation leads to less innovation.
- Growth leads to death.
So the message is this: Embrace change.
The pressure on the business to survive is good way to clear the decks and make the necessary changes.
Just like a back-burn is a dangerous time, but it has huge benefits in making your territory more defensible. The good times made us lazy, now is the time to scramble and get fit again.
- Review category performance and cull.
- Review staff performance and cull.
- Review expenses and cull.
- Review promotional activities and kill those that are just habitual
… and so forth. These are ways in which we take charge of change and make it work for us instead of it being something that happens to us.